Old Nov 03, 2009, 11:16 AM // 11:16   #1
Academy Page

Profession: W/Mo

Disable Ads
Default NCsoft survey - what do u think? should I click the link?

NCsoft Support Survey‏
Old Nov 03, 2009, 11:19 AM // 11:19   #2
Supastar~ ???

Sierraa's Avatar

Location: USA [GMT -7]
Guild: Sierraas Asian Harem [love]
Profession: Me/

There's no harm in clicking it if you've actually just contacted support or had something resolved. I've been asked to fill out a survey before and they never asked for my game info.
Sierraa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 03, 2009, 11:23 AM // 11:23   #3
Krytan Explorer

I Angra I's Avatar

Location: Napa, CA
Guild: Inadequately Equipped [GeAr]
Profession: R/N

uhh well, did you recently have interaction with NC Soft Support like it says? If you did then it's probably legit. And if it randomly asks you for your password suspiciously while doing the survey then don't put it in.
I Angra I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 03, 2009, 11:36 AM // 11:36   #4
Grotto Attendant

Arduin's Avatar

Location: The Netherlands
Guild: Limburgse Jagers [LJ]
Profession: R/

If you think it is harmful, junk it. Such is the way of the internets.
Arduin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 03, 2009, 11:44 AM // 11:44   #5
So Serious...

Fril Estelin's Avatar

Location: London
Guild: Nerfs Are [WHAK]
Profession: E/

Did you actually had an interaction with NCsoft support recently?

Please provide the links in the email by right-clicking (NOT with your left mouse button) on them, then selecting "Copy shortcut" on the contextual meny, and finally pasting it here in a message.
Fril Estelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 03, 2009, 12:37 PM // 12:37   #6
Auctions Mod

tasha's Avatar

Location: UK
Guild: Mystic Spiral [MYST]

I have had these emails before after sending in support tickets from the same email address as listed above - the last one I still have is dated August last year. However I've always ignored them because keeping my details safe and my pc clean is more important to me than providing feedback. Something that's concerning me though is that I couldn't find an item in the PlayNC knowledge base entitled "I received a survey invitation. Is it really from NCsoft Support?" through search. That's flagging something up for me right there.

Its up to you what you do, but if they ask you to provide ANY details related to your NCSoft master account, GW account or any other NCSoft related game information, don't hand it over.
tasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 03, 2009, 12:50 PM // 12:50   #7
Academy Page

Mylina's Avatar

Profession: Mo/

I remember Regina posted a few @links that are NCSoft or ANet. This one isn't one of the posted links. It's your risk...
Mylina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 03, 2009, 01:01 PM // 13:01   #8
Academy Page

At work, a company we work with is using custhelp.com for their techsupport system. I think that part is legitimate. However, the mail origin can be faked, and you haven't posted the link itself. Maybe go to the Guild Wiki and ask on Gaile's talk page? She's the support liaison, and the right person to answer that question.
shillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 03, 2009, 01:13 PM // 13:13   #9
Site Contributor

bsoltan's Avatar

Location: UK
Guild: [SoF]

They outsource from work, similar to the survey that was done where you could win a GW2 Art Book.

If in doubt contact support again to ask them. This gives two benefits:
1) They'll say it is ok and you can complete the survey.
2) They'll want to know about anyone phishing for info using the Guild Wars name so they can stop it.
bsoltan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 03, 2009, 01:45 PM // 13:45   #10
Desert Nomad

Location: in a house
Guild: The Knitters Guild
Profession: W/R

If you fill it out then you are supposing that;

a) its a safe site
b) its legit
c) someone actually cares about you
d) you have the time
e) you feel morally obligated because of a deep rooted guilt imposed by your mother to be respectful to others no matter of the cost to you or your property

Most likely it is some of the above but mostly e). You do not have to fill these out. Since you have a twinge to the bad then put your mind at easy and do not sent it in. They will not ban your account cause you did not wish to provide them with some personal information surrounding your feelings of their ego.

So set your "Self" at easy buy letting your ID ear its EGO.
imnotyourmother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 03, 2009, 02:09 PM // 14:09   #11
So Serious...

Fril Estelin's Avatar

Location: London
Guild: Nerfs Are [WHAK]
Profession: E/

Note to all: when such a survey is legit, it can greatly help support identify problems with how it's running, so that they can improve. If no one every reply to these survey, they'll clearly feel that no one cares and won't improve one iota.

Indeed, the last GW survey to win a GW2 artwork was legit, so it's not all bad, but caution is essential, which the OP exercised by coming here.
Fril Estelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 03, 2009, 02:23 PM // 14:23   #12
Atra estern?? ono thelduin

Eragon Zarroc's Avatar

Location: Madness Incarnate
Guild: [Duo]
Profession: W/P

meh, only if u feel like spending the time to do so. i personally wouldn't bother, too lazy ;-)
Eragon Zarroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 03, 2009, 02:28 PM // 14:28   #13
Forge Runner

Cuilan's Avatar

Profession: Me/

I don't see why you'd ask us when you can Google the domain or visit http://www.dnsstuff.com/
Cuilan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 03, 2009, 02:33 PM // 14:33   #14
Krytan Explorer

Sir Cusfreak's Avatar

Location: In your backline
Guild: No Tags [NONE]

Quote:
If in doubt contact support again to ask them.
this.

Forward the email back to them and simply ask if it's legit.

If it is, they'll tell you.
Sir Cusfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 03, 2009, 02:41 PM // 14:41   #15
So Serious...

Fril Estelin's Avatar

Location: London
Guild: Nerfs Are [WHAK]
Profession: E/

He's obviously asking because he needs help understanding if there's a problem. He may have heard about phishing and online scams, and wonders what to do about it.

So a few quick tips:

when you received an email that may sound suspicious
  • always check first the email address, this will give you hints of where it comes from; in the example above it comes from [email protected] ; as said above, "custhelp.com" is the domain name and it's legit;
  • then check the web links in the email, that means not only looking at what you see in the email, but hovering over the link and looking at the status bar in Firefox where the destination url is shown (and should correspond to the one shown in the content of the email, if not, you're sure it's a scam); for Internet Explorer users, you'll have to right-click the link and select properties (tedious but unavoidable using the default configuration);
  • lastly check the content of the email: are they asking for things they shouldn't be asking you, like a password or a credit card/bank account number? is the content written with quite a number of typos or English mistakes (a few typos is normal, whereas a certain number shows that the originator of the email is foreign)?

A legit and professional email will 99% of the time be well written, organised, clear and detailed, including a mention of scams (but you should still be cautious and do the above).

If you're very suspicious of an email, talk about it to friends or knowledgeable people. If you feel not confident enough to deal with the email issues, ask questions to friends or knowledgeable people. Don't stay in the dark, try to understand the problem so that you become better protected with this knowledge.

And always make sure you're OS (windows) is ok with regards to updates, and so is your antivirus (if you don't have one, there are free ones, see the list here).

Hope this helps.
Fril Estelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 03, 2009, 02:52 PM // 14:52   #16
Academy Page

Profession: W/Mo

Ty everyone

Yes I would like to to give nc soft the benefit of my opion but I was worried it wasn't from them and EVEN IF IT IS the recent account thefts are worrying too.

Mother, you are very right

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fril Estelin View Post
Did you actually had an interaction with NCsoft support recently?
yes, I complained about the sudden influx of refugees into my GH and the fact that my heroes left in disgust - didn't everyone?

[...]

That is absolutely superb - thankyou so much

Last edited by Petra Arkanian; Nov 04, 2009 at 08:46 AM // 08:46..
Petra Arkanian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 03, 2009, 04:17 PM // 16:17   #17
Frost Gate Guardian

SpiritSpammer's Avatar

Profession: Rt/

fill it out @ the library, lan center, starbucks, or your phone. just dont put in account information or your gwars email.
SpiritSpammer is offline   Reply With Quote

Share This Forum!